Saabs are top-rated when it comes to fuel economy, but sometimes you may be disappointed with how the fuel efficiency of your Saab has worsened over the years. There are several reasons why this could happen, and there are also ways to prevent or arrest this problem. It all boils down to your knowledge and how much care you are willing to give your car. Let’s take a run-through of the different aspects of your car that are responsible for fuel usage.
Common Causes of Low Gas Mileage
Several situations can lead to a failing fuel economy in your Saab. It could range from poor fuel quality to mechanical problems, but the fact is that poor fuel economy will cost you more money at the pumps.
Pay attention to your car’s needs and even if you don’t discover any problems, bring it to your trusted professionals for a checkup and servicing. This act may save you a lot of money in the long run.
Here are some of the common causes of failing fuel efficiency in your Saab:
- Clogged air filters: A clogged air filter causes problems with the ratio of fuel and air entering the engine. This can cause damage to the engine, thereby increasing your car’s fuel usage. Air filters can easily be unclogged by professional auto mechanics.
- Underinflated tires: When a car’s traction is increased, it causes an increase in fuel consumption, and this is easily caused by improperly inflated tires. An easy solution would be to make sure your car tires are well inflated.
- Faulty spark plugs: A damaged spark plug sparking incorrectly will lead to increased fuel consumption by affecting engine combustion. Your best bet is to change your spark plug yourself, or better still, take your car for complete servicing.
- Using the wrong oil: Poor-quality oil increases friction in your car’s engine and therefore leads to increased fuel consumption. Only use the recommended oil by your vehicle’s manufacturer to easily prevent this problem.
- Excessive idling: When your car sits idle for an extended period of time, it consumes a certain amount of fuel simply to remain on. Because it is wasting fuel while stationary,, it’s better to turn off your car to reduce the amount you spend on wasting fuel.
- Bad driving habits: Hard revving and aggressive acceleration increases the car’s fuel consumption rate and lowers its fuel economy. Better car handling and routine servicing will save your car from fuel trouble.
- Defective fuel injectors: Since the fuel injectors are responsible for sending fuel into the engines, a problem with this part will lead to less fuel entering the engine. This reduces engine efficiency and increases fuel usage. It will lead to reduced fuel economy for your Saab, but this issue can easily be fixed by a quick trip to your auto repair shop.
All these factors cannot be fully prevented, so it’s always best to bring your car in for servicing to save you fuel and money in the long run.
Swedish Automobile for Your Saab
As Austin’s Swedish automotive experts, we understand how people feel about their cars and how important taking care of their Saab is to them, especially when it comes to luxury cars. The simplest explanation of what we do here is to preserve the features of your Saab. This requires a commitment to maintenance and your car’s service schedule.
We’ve been open since 1993, making quality repairs and paying attention to customer’s needs in Austin, Cedar Park, Round Rock, and Leander, TX. To provide you with the best care for your cars, our shops are equipped with the latest factory-grade tools and equipment. We have trained mechanics specializing in A/C service and repairs, brake repairs, engine light maintenance, clutch repair, electric repair, engine repair, oil change services, suspension repairs, transmission repairs, etc.
At Swedish Auto Service, we have a dedicated and friendly staff that prioritizes putting a smile on your face by going through all the service options to find the best custom plan for your Saab model. In addition to the quality services we offer, we have made sure you do not spend excessive time waiting at the shop getting your car fixed. So call us today at 512-836-0022 to book an appointment or to speak with our friendly staff.